Design Engineering Manager
£Competitive, based in Norwich
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage proactively with Project Managers to deliver design engineering work and ensure projects are adequately managed and supported with suitable resource.
- Ensure that Design Engineers proactively engage with Project Managers and Engineers to develop suitable project specifications, provide updates on design project progress and share design concepts prior to design reviews. Chair/participate in design reviews.
- Act as Design Authority in areas of Design Engineering as delegated by General Manager, Technical.
- Plan, manage and oversee the design aspect of projects being performed by your team.
- Ensure all Calculations, Finite Element Modeling and Drawings performed by your team are undertaken and checked to best practice and any applicable industry or company standards.
- Ensure that all design engineering tasks are undertaken in accordance with AEL policies and procedures and in line with ISO 9001/14001 guidelines/requirements.
- Develop and standardise departmental best practice, through continuous improvement. Involve the team through delegation of tasks (all engineers should contribute) and gain buy into these procedures from all staff.
- Ensure departmental best practice is followed by all in the department.
- Improve the quality of design output including but not limited to, drawings, calculations, analysis, documents, emails, etc.
- Proactively build and improve working relationships with your staff, colleagues, managers and other departments.
- Ensure design team is working to the same goals as their colleagues (project and organisational goals).
- Ensure that robust design reviews are undertaken, within project deadlines and design engineering process requirements.
- Preparation, review, and approval of technical documents, technical reports, calculations, quotations, tenders, etc.
- Implement technical processes, systems and software to ensure effective project delivery.
- Participates in peer reviews and design engineering audits (in conjunction with QHSE department).
- Lead and motivate all design engineers in your team in support of department project delivery.
- Lead and proactively participate in team meetings, seminars, reviews and project planning events.
- Ensure that the design aspect of projects are updated via the project reporting process and are proactively reported to line manager.
- Keep up to date with industry engineering best practice and ensuring that any key developments are implemented to ensure the Engineering department is continually improving and developing.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers, taking personal responsibility for their work based and professional development, setting SMART development objectives through reviews, appraisals and other appropriate opportunities.
- To support sales teams to develop/review design solutions, resource and delivery plans in support of company proposals.
- Hold a company mobile phone and be contactable for project/operational support as required.
- Develop the culture of the team (honest self-appraisal, continuous improvement, working relationships with colleagues and other departments).
- Represent the company to your staff, colleagues, and clients in a positive and professional way.
- Represent company schemes and initiatives in a positive way.
- Abide by all statutory requirements including those related to Health and Safety.
- Understand and comply with your responsibilities under the Company’s policies and procedures in place from time to time, including all those relating to HR and Health and Safety.
- Undertake any reasonable duties as directed by your line manager or Director of the business.
For further information or to apply, please send your CV to email@example.com by close of business Friday 20th April 2018.